Tuesday 5 May 2015

May day potter

That's not some Clay pot making life endangering emergency but the bank holiday mooch around the harbour.    Although Sunday had scuppered any plans for a weekend away, Mondays weather was looking perfect  for an opportunist potter.
We have different types of sailors in our club... we have Dinghy racers, Cruiser racers but by far the biggest contingent are the silent majority... The 'Bimblers'.   I am a confirmed Bimbler.  It's a great term, I not sure if it's a real word or used elsewhere but it fits with what we do.
Monday was an absolute masterclass in Bimbling.  I arrived at the club at no pre arranged time and had no idea where I would go or how long I would stay out.

I dicided to take a tender across as I wanted to stow my rubber dinghy on board, so this gave me the chance to really try out my new (to me) mini outboard.   It's a wee Yamaha 2hp 2 stroke.  It is so light and easy to carry and although it's two stroke there is no mess.. unlike the Seagull.
Casting off in bright sunshine in a pleasant SE force 3 I stretched Ciao Bellas legs in the main harbour.  I spied 'Jelly Bean'.. Not my old boat but another club boat; a really pretty (if a little bright) prelude;  heading down from Parkstone.   I think this was one of their first sails on this boat so I scooted over to have a look and take some piccies.  Sadly I only had my iPhone so they're not great.

The Prelude is a cracking small cruiser,  it was high on my wish list when  I first thought about buying a boat.
Jelly Bean seems to be a fine example, having been well maintained. Good accommodation as well.. there is a family of five on this one :)
With the bright colour, I think Jelly Bean is a great name for her.  Tim and family where heading back to their mooring so I waved goodbye and bimbled off in a different direction. 

Thanks to Tyger Sarah for this one... Stolen off Facebook :)

I thought about going to Shipstal point but with the South Easterly I guessed it would be a bit bouncy.  I found a bit of shelter in the lee of Brownsea Island so I dropped the anchor and put the kettle on.



By now the blue skies had been replaced with grey and the breeze had picked up a little to a force 4 with occasional gust of 5.  I raised the anchor and headed off along Blood Alley and decided to potter along South Deep before heading home.  The thing with being between the islands is that the wind can go from nothing to full on  and change direction in an instant, so you have to watch the water and be prepared.


Timing has always been my downfall.  I never want my sailing days to end so it was no surprise to me that I was just too late getting back to get on my mooring.   I picked up a deeper mooring and cadged a lift with another group who were just going back top the club.  An interesting journey with four big adults in an 11 foot tender powered by an electric outboard.  We had very little freeboard and oar assistance but they soon got me back to my tender, were I returned the favour and supplied the power for both boats.
I had a cuppa and a chat back at the club while I waited for the water to come back then motored out and moved Ciao Bella back to her proper spot.




No comments:

Post a Comment